- BC Games
On the calendar: Mar. 17
• Leprechaun’s Tea Party: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at The Summit, 1095 Churchill Cres., North Vancouver. All seniors are invited. Bring a hat you have decorated or a classic! Tickets $5 at the door. Contact Amanda or Miho at 604-904-0842 or email@example.com.
• St. Patrick’s Day: Entertainment including an Irish Pipe Band, starting at 4 p.m., followed by Irish Folk Dancers at 5:30. Legion Br. 118, 123 West 15th St., North Vancouver. Membership not necessary, no admission charge. Must be 19 or older. 604-985-1115 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
• St. Patrick’s Potluck Social and Dance: Gleneagles Community Centre, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Dance to a mix of ballroom, latin, swing and your own musical requests. Host and Deejay: Michele Perron and Brian Bull. Call 604-925-7270.
• How can we reduce garbage: Genevieve Tokgoz will talk about how the region plans to meet its aggressive targets for waste reduction. Free. 7:30 to 9 p.m. at Mollie Nye House, 940 Lynn Valley Road. Call 604-808-1171 for details.
Osteoporosis: New Perspectives on Prevention and Treatment: Free talk by Gwen Ellert, RN, MEd, Health Educator and Author. 2 p.m. West Vancouver Memorial Library. Info: 604-987-9395.
Thai Cooking Class: Chef Panee Mesri of Thai House Restaurant will be sharing tips on how to create classic Thai recipes including noodle-wrapped prawns and green curry beef. Class size limited to 14. 6:45 to 10 p.m. at Ambrosia Adventures in Cooking, 503 15th St., West Vancouver. 604-218-2084, www.abrosiaadventures.com.
• Discussing Difficult Eldercare Decisions: Presented by Wendy Johnstone, a gerontologist and founder of Solutions for Seniors Eldercare Planning. 7 - 9 p.m. The tele-learning format allows you to watch or listen to the workshop over the Internet or telephone. For more information, contact Helen at 604-982-3313 or email@example.com. To register, call the CareRing Voice Network at 1-866-396-2433 or visit www.careringvoice.com
• Made for Movies: 10:30 am. Silk Purse favourite Karen Lee-Morlang shares her long-time fascination with the big screen and Sci-Fi and Fantasy flick themes! Tickets $10/$12.
Earth Hour: World-wide event started by WWF in which individuals, organizations and companies are encouraged to turn their lights off for an hour to show their support for initiatives that fight climate change. 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. Meanwhile, voting for the BC Green Games continues until March 31. Projects can be viewed at www.bcgreengames.ca.
• Exploring Your Creative Self: Six-week program that provides caregivers with the opportunity to experience different expressive art media such as vision boarding, music, drumming, dance and theatre. Mondays from 7 - 9 p.m. at the Ferry Building Gallery (1414 Argyle Avenue, West Vancouver). To register, contact Helen at 604-982-3313 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Chamber Breakfast Club: Come to Cafe TrafiQ to discuss everything from the local economy to real estate and to network with your business community. Establish key contacts. The Breakfast Club is sponsored by the West Vancouver Chamber of Commerce and meets every other Tuesday. Email email@example.com or call 604-926-6614.
March 29 and April 12
Managing Transitions Effectively: Series to learn about strategies for managing family challenges, role changes, and coping with stress to find balance in daily life. 6:30 - 8:30 pm at the West Vancouver Community Health Centre (2121 Marine Drive, West Vancouver-in the Garden Room). Registration is not required. Contact Karyn at 604-982-3320 or karyn .firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Live With Passion, Purpose and Freedom: North Shore author M.J. Milne talks about her new book, 12 Golden Keys for a New World: Unlocking the Door to Conscious Freedom. Twelve strategies to create your world your way. 7 to 9 p.m., West Van Memorial Library. Free.
Fire, Fall Prevention: Presentation at Churchill House Retirement Community Great Room, 150 West 29th Ave, North Vancouver. 7-8 p.m. Captain Bonita Noakes of the District of North Vancouver Fire Rescue and Denise Kelly, Community Relationship Manager of Nurse Next Door Healthcare, will provide the free presentation and session. Contact: Nicole Shandler 604-904-1199. Games, information, raffle prizes and refreshments included.
Join Jane: MLA Jane Thornthwaite meets with constituents from 9:30 to 11 a.m. at Parkgate Community Centre in the Eric Bennett Lounge. No appointment is necessary; just drop by to say hello and to discuss any concerns you may have.
• 2nd Annual Team Finn Wine Festival: Seymour’s Pub. Wine tasting, hors d’oeuvres, silent auction. Benefiting BC Cancer Foundation and Ride to Conquer Cancer. Doors open 6p.m., tickets $35. Off Exit 22’at the Holiday Inn 720 Old Lillooet Road, North Vancouver, 604-904-8778. Contact: Ray Short at 604-307-3038 for more information. www.teamfinn.com
• North Shore Business Tradeshow: A variety of display booths will showcase everything from sporting organizations to educational institutions and retirement facilities. 1 to 7 p.m. at the Pinnacle Hotel at the Pier. Sponsored by North Shore Chamber of Commerce, 604-987-4488.
Collectible and Antique Sale: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m at Mount Seymour United Church, 1200 Parkgate Ave. , North Vancouver. Free admission, cash only.
Mediterranean Cooking Class: Helen and Anastasia Koutailianos, cook book authors of ‘From the The Olive Grove’ share some of the Mediterranean recipes that have been handed down in their family, with olive oil as the central ingredient. 6:45 – 10:00 p.m. at Ambrosia Adventures in Cooking, 503 15th St., West Vancouver. 604-218-2084, www.abrosiaadventures.com. $92; cookbook included in the price.
• Horseshoe Bay’s Taste in the Bay: The Business Market is now open! To book your table and highlight your business, call Jan Skelly at 604-926-6614.
West Van Chamber Golf Tournament: Gleneagles Golf Course. Enjoy a “networking” game of golf featuring a Texas Scramble, prizes for the longest drive, closest to the hole and a putting contest. Mayor Pam Goldsmith-Jones will be the special guest at the BBQ dinner at the clubhouse.
Have an event you'd like to add to our community calendar? Send details to email@example.com. Follow us on Twitter @nsoutlook.