North Shore businesses, restaurants switch off lights for Earth Hour
This Saturday people throughout the world will be switching off their lights for Earth Hour from 8:30 to 9:30 p.m. To support action on climate change, 152 countries are participating in the annual event.
Here is a list of some participating businesses, organizations and restaurants on the North Shore:
- The Pinnacle Hotel. The restaurant is offering a candlelight dinner with a separate food menu prepared with less energy.
- Lonsdale Quay Market is turning off the landmark Q Tower.
- Capilano Mall and Park & Tilford will turn off non-essential lights.
- Recreation centres, city/district halls and libraries will also turn off non-essential lights.
- The Keg is dimming its lights for dinner.
- Other landmarks in the Lower Mainland, including Lions Gate Bridge, will also power down.
- District hall.
Last year, West Van reduced its electricity consumption by 3.3 per cent and North Van District and City by 1.4 and 0.4 per cent, respectively.